15 April 2009

it was the hat, afterall



Last night, I saw Leonard Cohen live. This was probably one of the best concerts I had ever been to. It was also the most money I had ever paid for a concert and we were in the 2nd crappiest section. I don't see big acts a lot, but this was still pricey for a big act I think. 




Growing up, our tv was in the cold dark room in the basement. This room also housed numerous books shelves and the sound system for our house. This was a record player sound system, and get this, it was so hi-tech it even had a tape deck. While watching TV I would also look through my dad's record collection. I vaguely remember there being a lot a Beatles albums and stuff like Cream and the newest album being Thriller, which I kinda remember was actually my brother's. I always remember seeing Leonard Cohen's "Songs of" because of the album art on the back and the photograph of Cohen on the front which I probably thought resembled my dad. I didn't actually listen to that album until I was in junior high. My sister, who was in high school at the time, had a friend over who thought it was awesome we had that record, so we started listening to it. I've listened to him since. 

Anyways. The concert was amazing. He played for 3 hours. Not a fan of encores, I did appreciate that when he ran off stage (actually skipped) he only waited for about 10 seconds before running back on. He had some pretty classic dance moves too. He also did stop and say some pretty hilarious Leonard stuff such as 'I haven't been here for 14 years, when I was 60 and a kid with a crazy dream'. I wish I had brought a pen to write all the stuff down. 

Oh and if you can, rent the documentary "Ladies and Gentlemen...Mr. Leonard Cohen".

3 comments:

Angela said...

Good Lord I am jealous that you got to see him.

I recently listened to the cover album that Rufus Wainwright and some others did of his songs--- worth checking out.

TheSeaWithin said...

I know that album you are talking about, but haven't listened to it yet. I think it went with that documentary that came out a few years ago.
I love Rufus' Hallajulah cover!

cabin + cub said...

Wow... that would have been a great concert to see! Am very jealous over here.